A woman I admire greatly – who shall therefore remain nameless – asks why gays should have Pride at all. This is a woman with gay friends, business associates, and family. Someone in favor of marriage equality and same-sex parented families. There is no Straight Pride parade, is there?
Here’s the good news: we’ve managed to live in a world that is so okay with gays and lesbians that even the open minded forget the inequality that remains. The bad news: even the open minded forget the inequality that remains.
It’s been 44 years since Stonewall. Why do we need Gay Pride still? Here are some questions in return:
- Do we still need a Black History Month? Women’s? Asian? [Insert minority type here]?
- Are gay teens still 8.4 times more likely than heterosexual teens to attempt suicide?
- Are LGBT youth still overrepresented in the homeless population, juvenile detention, and foster care?
- Are there still 29 states in the U.S. where a person can still legally be fired for their sexual orientation?
- Are people still being beaten on the streets of New York City for their perceived sexuality?
Then, yes, we do still need Gay Pride.